On Tuesday 11th February we welcomed once again famous Argentinian producer Catena Zapata for yet another fantastic evening of great food and fine wines.
Carola de la Fuente was our guest speaker for the evening. She took us through a short history of the Catena family and the beginnings of the vineyard. She also told us about the various appellations found in Mendoza and the role they play in Catena’s wine production.
Our guests were able to taste 6 different Catena wines that evening; these were divided into 3 flights. After each flight was explained and tasted, our guests were able to enjoy their meals with them, try them separately or with different foods to see the different flavours and notes they encountered.
- Catena Appellation Tupungato Chardonnay 2011: with pineapple, peach and creamy vanilla notes.
- Catena Alta Chardonnay 2011: pear, apricot and lemon cream notes. Also white flowers and honey.
- Catena Appellation San Carlos Cabernet Franc 2010: red currant, dark fruits and black pepper. Sweet spice and vanilla as well.
- Catena Appellation Agrelo Cabernet Sauvignon 2010: with black currant, cedar and spice notes. Cassis, leather and vanilla.
- Catena Alta Malbec 2010: blackberry and plums. Spicy, with violet and lavender notes.
- Catena Zapata Nicasia Malbec 2009: blueberry and black cherries. Coffee, chocolate and leather notes. Quite earthy.
Those underlined are our wines of the month and also at a promotional price for our customers throughout February.
We would like to thank all our guests who joined us on the evening, and Carola for once again teaching us a bit more about these magnificent wines.
As always, everyone had their own favourites but most of our guests had raving comments about the Catena Alta Chardonnay and the Catena Zapata Nicasia Malbec.
Were you one of our guests? Which was your favourite?