Crème Caramel is one of Brazil’s favourite and most traditional desserts.
As with most recipes, there are plenty of variations. The classic ones were made with just three ingredients: milk, sugar and eggs – lots of eggs, there’s an old Portuguese recipe containing 24 yolks!
The classic recipe later switched milk for condensed milk in 1890 when the latter arrived in Brazil. Nowadays you can even find microwave-friendly recipes that are made in just minutes.
Whichever recipe you prefer, Crème Caramel is a fool-proof dessert bound to be a hit with everyone. It has doce de leite after all, and we have yet to find someone who doesn’t like it!
If you’d like to put your dessert-cooking skills to the test, here’s Fazenda’s recipe straight from our Head Chef’s recipe book.
This recipe serves 6
6 Whole eggs
0.425gr Condensed Milk
1/2 ltr Whole milk
0.010cc Vanilla extract
0.50gr Caramel (Doce de Leite)
1. Mix the milk with the eggs and yolks
2. Add the condensed milk
3. Add the Vanilla extract
4. Put the caramel in a microwave-friendly container with 2 tablespoons of water and melt it
5. Put the melted caramel in the mould making sure all the base is covered
6. Place the mould inside an oven container that is bigger than your mould
7. Fill the mould with the mix
8. For the Bain Marie add hot water to the container until it reaches half the height of the mould
9. Bake in the oven at 110° for 1 hour
10. Cool down to room temperature before storing in the fridge
11. Use within 2 days – That’s just a note; believe us, it won’t last that long!